Job Title: Assistant Head of Mission
Mission location: Based in Gaziantep with travels in Turkey as required
Placement: He/she reports to the Head of Mission, collaborates with all members of the coordination team
Standard office working hours:
8:30am – 5:30pm: Monday – Friday
8:30am – 1pm: Saturday (upon request)
Timing as required during external visits.
Provide support to the mission by assisting the Head of Mission in the administrative part of coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth relationship with local and national authorities, contributing to the context analysis and follow-up, providing translations and interpreting in order to facilitate coordination tasks in the mission.
1. Context and needs analysis
- Contributes to the analysis and monitoring of the political and humanitarian situation in Turkey as related to the Syrian context
- Through research on the internet, press reviews, MSF staff, external network, etc., makes a daily report and a weekly summary presentation for all the staff in the coordination office
- Disseminate relevant context information to the coordination team,
- Regularly inform the coordination team on key issues
- Update general information on the context for MSF internal documents
- Advise on cultural appropriateness of organizational activities and individual behaviors
- Redacts a monthly report (sitrep) on the political and humanitarian situation as related to Syria
- At the request of the Head of Mission, assumes the role of representative for the organization
- During inter-NGO and international organization coordination meetings
- With regards to national administrative bodies
2. Humanitarian response analysis
- Keep good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and key humanitarian and health actors (other NGO’s, UN agencies, local authorities…) verifying that they are easily accessible in order to facilitate contacts and meetings.
- Update (at least on a monthly basis) the list of the key humanitarian and health actors (both, Turkish and international, political and humanitarian, UN, NGO, government, Red Cross movement) by sectors and area of operations in Turkey.
- Maintains the network of key contacts inside and outside Turkey in order to activate them in the continuous search of information.
- Enriches continuously the contact network to ensure a deep knowledge of the context on ground (Syrian armed groups, civil society, media, local authorities, etc...).
- Updates constantly the contact list of the network and shares it on a weekly basis with the HoM or after any important contact inclusion.
- Upon request by the HoM, represents MSF in meetings or accompanies members of the coordination team to meetings, writes down the minutes and sends them to the HoM and relevant coordination team members.
4. Support on administrative issues
- Compiles and summarizes key administrative issues;
- Supports in monitoring progress of sensitive administrative issues (work permits, passports, immigration/border issues, etc.)
5. Other duties
- Supports individual briefing of international and national staff on context and cultural awareness
- If required, for meetings, providing a suitable and pertinent translation to coordination members.
- Takes on the translation of important or confidential documents at the request of coordination team members
- Upon request, take notes and draft minutes of internal or external meetings
REQUIRED EXPERIENCES AND SKILLS
Education: University level studies or similar.
- Previous experience in humanitarian aid, preferably with MSF.
- Essential: Very good understanding of Turkey and Syria.
- Analytical skills and background in social sciences
Languages: Good written and spoken English & Turkish (Arabic an asset).
Knowledge: Computer literacy (Word, Excel and internet)
Competences: Flexibility, teamwork, commitment, stress management, high level of commitment in MSF operations
Candidates have to provide:
- CV in English
- Letter of motivation in English
- Copy of diplomas mentioned in CV
- Copy of work certificate for positions mentioned in CV
If you are interested and available to work, please email this requested information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Assistant Head of Mission” in the email.
Deadline date to receive application: January 20, 2016
We will only contact selected candidates for an interview. We thank all candidates for their interest.