Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from healthcare and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. MSF adheres to the principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality and strictly follows the tenants of medical ethics and international humanitarian law.
Job Title: Health Information Officer (male or female)
Responsible to: Project Coordinator; Epidemiologist
Work Place: Akçakale, with travels to surrounding areas
Assist the Epidemiologist in the running of the daily activities related to the MSF Akçakale/NorthSyria project to ensure quality and accuracy of data collected on the field, supporting the proper implementation of protocols and the development of appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods when conducting surveys and planning program activities..
Duties and Responsibilities
• Carry out multi-sectorial needs assessments and mapping of the actors and gaps in the area to provide a clear picture of the situation.
• Assist in strengthening existing methods of health facility surveillance in areas under our program;
• Assist our Turkish partners in the development and implementation of population based surveys where appropriate;
• Support in generating a comprehensive understanding of population dynamics and movements, existing livelihoods in our target communities (access to water, shelter, and food), disease burdens of greatest concern and possibly the detection of unusual health events.
• Health system mapping (locations, staffing, services, contacts, data sharing);
• Support in gathering qualitative information on health situation on the ground
• Participate in planning and implementing assessments/surveys of the beneficiaries’ health needs.
• Assist in the data entry of information collected from the field
• Coordinate possible investigation into cases or clusters of disease with outbreak concern
• Assist in strengthening health facility disease surveillance and monitoring through introduction of an EWARN system +/- non-infectious disease surveillance
• Assist in establishing event based surveillance (EBS): Establishment of an informal network of surveillance officers (teachers, community leaders, religious leaders) that are geographically representative of our target area
• Liaise with appropriate health and non-health actors to facilitate the above mentioned activities
• Provide “Information for Action” to MSF project teams and other stakeholders
Education: Essential: recognized degree or diploma in health sciences, preferably Epidemiology or Public Health
Experience: Desirable - 2 years’ experience minimum in a related relevant position. Desirable - previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
Languages: Essential - Turkish and English; Arabic an asset.
Knowledge: Essential - computer literacy (Word, Excel); Desirable - Experience of EpiInfo, STATA/SPSS
Competencies: Good (self-) organizational and interpersonal skills, high level of flexibility, accurate, strong communication skills; ability to work independently; committed
MSF has a Charter and a Code of Conduct, outlining our ethics and principles. All staff members agree to honour these principles: (http://www.msf.org/msf-charter-and-principles; http://sinirtanimayandoktorlar.org/hakkimizda/tuzuk-ve-ilkelerimiz/)
Deadline for application is on Monday, March 14, 2016.
Interested candidates submit their letter of motivation and CV in English (including education, qualifications, previous experience and professional references) per email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only applications that fulfil the formal requirements will be considered. Only candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
This job vacancy is for Akçakale, Turkey. No accommodation or relocation allowance will be given.