Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the following position: Humanitarian Affairs Officer (HAO)
Requirements for the position
Education: Essential degree in Law, Humanitarian affairs, Political Sciences or related university degree
Experience: Essential previous working experience in research, analysis and advocacy. Essential experience with MSF or other NGOs.
Languages: Essential Turkish and English, Arabic Desirable
Nationality: Turkish National (Essential)
Place of work: Gaziantep
Contribute to the development of humanitarian affairs activities in the Mission by supporting the Management Coordination Team in the analysis of context, humanitarian situation, security and in the definition of advocacy strategies, according to MSF policies and values, in order to improve the humanitarian and human rights situation among population.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Perform data collection and research concerning local and international context, with regards to security, medical, nutritional and humanitarian issues, in order to provide reliable information for further decision-making.
- Support the Head of Mission and field coordinators in the analysis of the data collected, in order to better orientate the programmes and projects, to provide an optimal response to population needs.
- Compile regular updates of the ongoing (inter-)national activities and plans of NGO’s, UN, ICRC, donors, authorities and other actors on lobby, policy and operational plans and initiatives in order to adequate MSF ’s activities and objectives.
- Collaborate with the HoM, the Operational/Humanitarian Affairs Department at HQ and other relevant parties to develop a coherent global strategy, in order to address the humanitarian situation.
- Collaborate with the HoM in the development and implementation of the Networking Strategy for MSF OCBA in Turkey in order to engage and lobby with the Turkish authorities and other key actors (Tirkish or Syrian) to address the humanitarian situation of Syrian community in Turkey.
- Define and review messages, tools, lobbying activities and other advocacy action plans and strategies, in order to raise all humanitarian issues in the mission and seek assistance and protection to affected population
- Collaborates with the HoM to ensure that the border crossing for MSF staff is addressed and followed up based to allow the smooth running of operations inside Syria.
- Ensure smooth working relationship with local authorities, other NGO’s, local communities and other factors, in order to facilitate MSF teams a better access to the population and improve MSF activities’ coordination with third parties.
- Organize discussions, trainings, briefings, etc. about human rights and humanitarian law issues and current and future advocacy activities, in order to raise awareness of MSF staff regarding these matters.
- Participates in the elaboration and updating of the Country Risk Analysis
- Promotes and assists in the implementation of advocacy activities locally, nationally and internationally.
- Closely collaborates and coordinates with the Intersectional Representative Office.
- Supports the HoM in the External Representation tasks.
Interested applicants should send a detailed CV in English to email@example.com entitled “HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER” before March 15th, 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and/or technical test.