Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from healthcare and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. MSF adheres to the principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality and strictly follows the tenants of medical ethics and international humanitarian law.
Job Title: Translator / Interpreter
Responsible to: Project Coordinator
Work Place: Akçakale, with travels to surrounding areas
Perform oral and written translation, from the mission language to local language(s) or vice versa, in order to ensure simultaneous, accurate, friendly, respectful, objective and fluent communication between MSF staff and local population.
- Translate documents from English into Turkish and/or Arabic and vice versa upon request.
- Translate discussions / meetings as requested
- Always keep respect towards patients, collaborators, authorities, military factions and MSF staff participating in discussions.
- Ensure confidentiality of all translation is maintained as directed by the Project coordination team.
- Ensure neutrality and accuracy when translating
- Declare any “conflict of interest” when asked to translate (e.g. personal involvement) which would necessitate using other staff members for translation.
- Inform international staff about local customs, tradition, etc., that will help understand better the context and better communicate
Education: Secondary education (essential); official translator degree (desirable)
Experience: Previous working experience (essential); previous experience with MSF or other INGOs in a relevant similar job (desirable)
Languages: Fluency in Turkish and Arabic, very good English (essential); Kurdish a plus
Knowledge: Computer literacy (Word, Internet) (essential)
Competencies: Very good communication skills; capacity to negotiate; honesty; team-working; committed; diplomatic
MSF has a Charter and a Code of Conduct, outlining our ethics and principles. All staff members agree to honour these principles: (http://www.msf.org/msf-charter-and-principles; http://sinirtanimayandoktorlar.org/hakkimizda/tuzuk-ve-ilkelerimiz )
Deadline for application is Friday, February 12, 2016.
Interested candidates submit their letter of motivation and CV in English (including education, qualifications, previous experience and professional references) per email to email@example.com. Only applications that fulfil the formal requirements will be considered. Only candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
This job vacancy is for Akçakale, Turkey. No accommodation or relocation allowance will be given.